Monday, January 28, 2008

Eating Flesh

Eating Flesh

Hey All..

So I am half way done with my radiation treatments.
My last one is on Feb 20th. Provided that the machine does not break down (Again).
It has broken down twice since I have been going.
Once when I was on the table.
I thought... that possibly It would malfunction... and start acting crazy... and then maybe I would end up with some really cool super powers.
But... that did not happen, unfortunately.
Apparently... the computer and the machine don't always communicate well and it forces a stalemate.
(a very humanlike quality... robots are cool)
Anyway...
I was supposed to be done by my Birthday on the 16th... but that is not going to happen.
I was a little dissapointed, but I am over it now.

I watched this health program last night that was all about eating a plant based diet... and not a meat based diet.

I think that Michael and I are going to try and do so.
There are many health and environmental reasons to make this change.
I never thought that I would be able to give up meat.
But there are some statistics that are helping me with making the choice.
Like 0% of breast cancer patients who switch to a plant based diet has a reccurence within 4 years as opposed to 39% who keep a meat based diet.

So... we may give it a try. I don't want the cancer to come back.

I also overheard a very disturbing conversation while sitting in the Radiology waiting room last week.
The conversation was between two men. One guy was talking about how his family have been farmers for generations and had a huge dairy farm down east somewhere.
He was talking about how they lost all of their herd one year.
He said that the barn had newly been urethaned and then a few days later... caught on fire. The cows where in the barn for a little while... breathing all the toxins in before they were rescued.

He said that a few weeks later... all of the cows starting to develope flu-like symptoms. Runny noses, sneezing etc etc. Meanwhile they all were still being milked.
They started to die. All of them died.
Turns out that they all had been poisened by the Urethane. But ... the herd wasn't a total loss. They were able to sell ALL OF THE MEAT for human consumption
How fucked up is that...
They died from toxins... and now humans where drinking the milk and eating the flesh that was most certainly tainted.
Made me want to be sick.
I won't get into all the other statistics about the meat industry... cause I don't want to get on a soap box... As of this moment I still eat meat (I try to eat free range and grass fed though). But let me just say... If you choose to investigate for yourselves... it is pretty disgusting.
and the environmental impact of animals being raised for food is also quite disturbing.
Basically the best thing any one person can do for the environment is stop eating meat. Energy, Water and land will all be saved.
Okay... I have blabbed enough.

Something to think about anyway...


Love to you all.
M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're serious about changing your diet, you should check out The Cancer Project's nationwide, free nutrition and cooking classes for cancer prevention and survival: http://www.cancerproject.org/resources/cooking_class.php

The Lance Armstrong Foundation researched these class series and found them to be highly effective in inspiring lasting diet change. Best wishes to you.